A new look to the site, though it was not without it’s problems, and still is to some extent.
I tried one theme, and ran into problems with the way posts were displayed, this was tracked down to Social plugin I’m using to pull my Twitter account into the site. I’ve switched this to manual now, but have eventually worked out that this is because the plugin creates a ‘status’ action for the posts in WordPress, and the theme lacked this action ability. I did not find this until I started on the next, current theme, but when I worked out where the problem was, and how to cure it.
The cure, for my purposes, was simple, duplicate one of the other post actions in the theme, and call it status.php.
Anyway, here we have the new theme from Theme Forest, and a few little hacks to make it work for me. Currently I’m still experiencing a problem with the archives, but I’m looking into that one, and maybe don’t need them in the way they have existed for a long time anyway.
Related to blogging, but a separate problem that I’m still no closer to resolving, is a reliable, formatted export from Day One, that can be automated to some degree. Currently I’m leaving it in their hands, and waiting for an effective method on the desktop, but it is something that is increasingly worrying to me as each and every day adds more info into Day One that will need extraction at some point. I’m already at the stage where the MacBook holds a non synced version of everything prior to the beginning of this year. I’m really not comfortable with the situation, but there does not appear to be any workaround that is either acceptable, or a massive amount of manual work.
Either way the problem is only snowballing at present, and while there are backups of everything, any recovery is work, a lot of work. This is one problem that is not dropping of my project list very quickly.
One other project this week that has not been brought any closer to completion is the installation of a Windows 98 instance in a VM. Everything ends in the same error message whatever I’ve tried to do, including different ISO’s and machines running the VM. In itself this is not really a problem, but it does not bode well for one of the main ‘lab’ projects at work.